Thursday, July 6, 2017

Seriously WHY did I move to where everything is on fire?

So there was a wildfire practically in my backyard. Well, it was two blocks away, but that's still too close for comfort.

On July 4th, I had just finished summiting Goat Peak and was feeling amazing about it, since it was the hardest hike I have ever done to date. I drove back to town, came through the Selah gap, and saw the entire hillside behind my house on fire. I saw houses and smoke in between houses. It was one of the worst feelings ever because all I saw was smoke and couldn't see how far down it went. Turning toward my street, I saw all the firetrucks had blockaded the road a mere block from me.

Immediately I ran inside my house, leaving the dog in the car, and ran to my backyard. I could see between houses where the scorched earth ended, very close to the houses. There are only two blocks between me and the open land that was burning. I saw firefighters up on the hill with hoses and the amazing firetrucks they have that are designed to drive over range land.

I popped on the sprinkler in the front yard and grabbed the hose to start dousing the back yard. With a post on Facebook, I also learned to spray down the roof and sides of my house. Within an hour of the local news reporting the fire, they reported 100% containment. It was only then that I went inside to wash off all the dirt and sweat from my hike, though I still kept my sprinklers going, because that was far too close for my comfort level.

I didn't even get a photo of the fire because I was so stressed at the time, but here's a view of the scorched hillside the morning after from my backyard:

Exhibit A
Even though it was July 4th and a lot of people suspected fireworks, someone in the comments of the local news site said she was nearby when it began and didn't hear fireworks and it seemed to be more likely it started with a cigarette butt tossed out a window. To which I was like really?!?! Over on the (much damper) west side of the state, I've seen fires start that way. Over here where everything is a tinderbox, how can people possibly be that dumb?!?!

Fortunately they got this fire put out, plus another small fire that sprung up further north of town. No structures were lost. The fire crews here are amazing.

There are so many wildfires here...it's gonna take some adapting for me to get used to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment