Tuesday, July 18, 2017

I don't even care that I moved to where everything is on fire

So the other hill near where I live caught fire. I heard about it at work. It started at a homeless camp and spread like, well, wildfire. I was like "Huh, I'm like three blocks away from that. Oh well."

When I got home I parked and walked over to look at it. Here's a picture that's grainy because it was taking from a Facebook Live still I later pulled.

I only had to walk about one block to get this shot
I feel like I'm learning to become a local because when I moved here I was like "OMG FIRE!" and everyone was like whatevs. But now we've just had so many fires you don't even know, like daily there's another one. I feel like I have wildfire fatigue.

Now that both hills near my house have burned, at least there's no more fuel for wildfires, so I also feel like I'm sort of immune for the rest of the season now.

I probably could never live on the edge up against the fields though. That would spook me too much. So far no structures have been lost (as of this writing, that fire is still burning and came really really close to some houses, but it looked like the firefighters were winning when I decided to head home so I'm assuming they're okay).

Nestled in my neighborhood, close-ish but not too close to the open hills, I'm feeling more secure. Because you can't freak out over every fire that is here. There's simply too many. You can only care about so many things, and if you try to care about all the fires you just can't do it.

You can care endlessly about the firefighters though. Seriously those guys rock. Keep up the amazing job, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment